Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
As i said it would be looking for a specific pressure range (back pressure), that would be my educated guess.
Apparently the rear sensor was not connected properly which caused the EML to come on. It was plugged back in and the light has gone off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Apparently the rear sensor was not connected properly which caused the EML to come on. It was plugged back in and the light has gone off.
so the 100cpsi sports cat dp didn’t produce an EML?! So i can get it fitted without having to remap?

Also does replacing the cat with a sports cat void warranty?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would say there is a good chance the EML will stay off, but MG do not guarantee this.

I would imagine that any modification to the exhaust may void the warranty on the exhaust only, unless the dealer could argue that the exhaust caused the fault complained of.

I guess it depends on the dealer and what warranty work is involved.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Thanks @joni

Going to order the DP ... how much was it? and how long did it take to arrive?

I spoke to MG again a week back and they mentioned they don't know if the EML will come on because of my custom catback exhaust. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks @joni

Going to order the DP ... how much was it? and how long did it take to arrive?

I spoke to MG again a week back and they mentioned they don't know if the EML will come on because of my custom catback exhaust. Would that make a difference?
It may do. When I spoke to MG they said they try to match the pressure in the exhaust to the OEM. So if you have changed the back box this may well have an effect.

DP and backbox will be crazy loud...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
It may do. When I spoke to MG they said they try to match the pressure in the exhaust to the OEM. So if you have changed the back box this may well have an effect.

I know that is my only worry ... it will be LOUD. Even with the valve off I imagine ...

Also on second thought, if there is no EML right now with the mid silencer and back box off ... if they have calibrated the DP to emulate the same pressure as OEM exhaust, it should be fine. I'm sure if you were to get rid of your mid silencer and back box now it wouldn't cause an EML.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Sorry, it was 946 euro plus shipping to 4 weeks to arrive. They quoted 4-5 weeks plus shipping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know that is my only worry ... it will be LOUD. Even with the valve off I imagine ...

Also on second thought, if there is no EML right now with the mid silencer and back box off ... if they have calibrated the DP to emulate the same pressure as OEM exhaust, it should be fine. I'm sure if you were to get rid of your mid silencer and back box now it wouldn't cause an EML.
You may be right as I took my back box off and drove it around to see what it was like and there was no EML on when we did this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Was this the sensor on the back of the exhaust next to the backbox?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recently installed CLA45s with full FI exhaust DP, sportcat, and catback. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

p.s. it's plug and play. No error codes after the install. However our A45s in this part of the world does not come with GPF.

THIS IS THE BEST SOUND YET!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Recently installed CLA45s with full FI exhaust DP, sportcat, and catback. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

p.s. it's plug and play. No error codes after the install. However our A45s in this part of the world does not come with GPF.

What cpsi sports cat did you install? And does your catback exhaust have any silencer boxes or mufflers? @vodka sounds 👌

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's a 200 CPS cat that comes with the FI downpipes. The entire system is from FI . Its a friends car and so far no error lights since the install a few months ago. So this system is safe to install without a remap at least for cars that don't come with the GPF.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Spoke to a friend who works in the garage at a mercedes dealership. He spoke to the warranty person who said that replacing your cat for a sports cat doesn’t void your warranty. If your eml comes on however, you will need to pay for the diagnosis. Not sure if its a different story for the OPF.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
187 Posts
So the Cat and GPF are both part of the Downpipe, you can't remove one without the other.

Your friend is correct, removing them would only invalidate your warranty on those specific parts. However if something else was damaged because of the modification then this would also not be covered. This is unlikely to be an issue in this case though as they only thing downstream is the exhaust.

In regards to the EML, I don't think Mercedes would be able to do anything about that as it would be correctly reporting what the car would see as a fault with the vehicle emissions. As far as I know Mercedes would not code the light out even if they had the ability to do so.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
So the Cat and GPF are both part of the Downpipe, you can't remove one without the other.

Your friend is correct, removing them would only invalidate your warranty on those specific parts. However if something else was damaged because of the modification then this would also not be covered. This is unlikely to be an issue in this case though as they only thing downstream is the exhaust.

In regards to the EML, I don't think Mercedes would be able to do anything about that as it would be correctly reporting what the car would see as a fault with the vehicle emissions. As far as I know Mercedes would not code the light out even if they had the ability to do so.
So modifying your downpipe doesn’t invalidate the warranty on your car, just anything that goes wrong due to the modification won’t be covered under the warranty. But if you replace the downpipe and the EML comes on, and decide to remap, that will invalidate warranty? What happens if you just leave the EML on?

I’ve gone ahead with my order of the MGmotorsports sports cat DP as they are confident it won’t cause an EML!

·
Super Moderator
3,144 Posts
It’s all to do with cause and effect.

so, for example, if you replace your down pipe, and say that down pipe changes the backpressure on the system, which in turn causes the turbo to fail, you won’t get the turbo replaced under warranty as it’s failure was caused by something you changed linked to it.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
187 Posts
So modifying your downpipe doesn’t invalidate the warranty on your car, just anything that goes wrong due to the modification won’t be covered under the warranty. But if you replace the downpipe and the EML comes on, and decide to remap, that will invalidate warranty? What happens if you just leave the EML on?
No, neither would invalidate the warranty as whole. As such, remapping would invalidate the warranty on the engine and transmission etc.

Depends, most likely the car will drive fine with the EML on. In some cases it may go into limp mode.

It would of course fail an MOT though.

201 - 220 of 231 Posts